Home News No more excuses will be accepted from Botes

No more excuses will be accepted from Botes

309
SHARE

Alvin Botes has one last chance to appear at his disciplinary or face the consequences.

MEC of Coghsta, Alvin Botes

THE ANC has told the rebellious MEC for Co-operative Governance, Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs Alvin Botes that his disciplinary hearing will not be postponed again.

The hearing will now take place three days before Christmas.

ANC Provincial spokesperson Naledi Gaosekwe yesterday squashed rumours that Botes had been slapped with a two year suspension.

Botes was once again, too ill to attend his disciplinary hearing on Wednesday after he submitted a sick note.

His hearing was postponed last week, after he excused himself on December 5 by way of a doctor’s letter.

He was first instructed to take office in parliament early October and was warned on several occasions to be redeployed to Cape Town. He was given a last chance to present himself for duty at the National Assembly on November 24.

Botes has since forfeited his redeployment after attempts were made to replace the suspended ANC Frances Baard regional chairperson Dr Thapelo Dithebe with former Member of Parliament Patrick Mabilo in the Northern Cape Provincial Legislature.

Mabilo’s swearing in ceremony could not take place on Wednesday after legal letters were sent to the legislature and the ANC to prevent his “irregular and unlawful” removal.

ANC Provincial Secretary Deshi Ngxanga said Botes’ disciplinary hearing had to be postponed this week after he had submitted a medical certificate.

“The delays are not caused by the ANC but by Botes. We note the other activities of Botes and are wondering are we not dealing with a case of filibustering here. The case is now postponed to December 22. We have cautioned Botes that the case won’t be postponed beyond that date.”

He added that he had received a letter from the Dithebe’s lawyers at around 10.30pm on Tuesday.

“Had we known that Dithebe had submitted his appeal, we would not have proceeded with the swearing in of Mabilo as member of the legislature on Wednesday. In the lawyer’s letter, proof was attached which shows that Dithebe appealed his sentence to the national disciplinary committee within the 21 days stipulated. In fairness, I decided to cancel the swearing-in ceremony of Mabilo.”

Ngxanga stated that he was not privy to the date of the submission of the appeal, prior to the decision of the Provincial deployment Committee swear Mabilo in as a member of the provincial legislature.

“The ANC is responsible for deploying ANC representatives (MPL’s) to the legislature. Political management of the Province cannot wait for the national conference. Processes will continue until we make a breakthrough on the deadlocks.”

He indicated that the ANC would continue to pay Mabilo’s salary.

“No one is purged purely because he/she supports Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma for the ANC presidency. However, no one must misbehave in the name of any leader. Decisive steps will be taken against anyone who misbehave irrespective what his/her preferences are for the national conference.”

He added that a regional task team had been established to unify the Namakwa regional executive committee (REC) that was disbanded, headed by the convenor Mervin Cloete.

“The Provincial Working Committee is confident that the team which is inclusive of women, youth and has representation in terms of geographical spread is equal to the task at hand and would unite the region leading up to its regional conference.”