The family and friends of a slain 28-year-old foreign national businessman are outraged as the police are yet to make an arrest more than two years after his murder.
THE FAMILY and friends of a slain 28-year-old foreign national businessman are outraged as the police are yet to make an arrest more than two years after his murder.
Faraad Mnowar Jahid was shot and killed at his supermarket in Ritchie on September 25, 2021.
According to reports at the time, three armed men entered the supermarket at around 7pm and held Jahid and customers at gunpoint inside the store.
They instructed the customers to lie down on the floor before later releasing them. They then took Jahid, his wife and his 11-month-old baby to a back room and tied them up with tape.
The men proceeded to rob the store of an undisclosed amount of money and cellphones and they took Jahid’s car keys.
The men fled the scene, however, one of them apparently returned and shot Jahid in the head in front of his wife and baby.
Family and friends have accused the police of dragging their feet during the investigation.
“This matter happened more than two years ago and there are still no leads or any arrests made in connection with the murder and the robbery. We have had no closure in this matter and cannot let it turn into a cold case. The persons responsible need to be brought to book and face the law,” they said.
“It is heartbreaking that the police have not managed to arrest even a single suspect. This case is unable to get to court unless there is an arrest made. We cannot live with so many unanswered questions while those who took the life of a father, brother and husband are just walking around free in society. Faraad deserves justice as he died in a very painful and horrific manner.”
They added that they have been “kept in the dark” with regard to the progress of the investigation.
“We are not even certain whether the police are still investigating the case or whether they have closed the case. We have had no feedback from the investigating officer on how far the investigation is or whether there are any leads being followed up on.
“We have just been left on our own to try and figure things out ourselves. That is not fair as we have lost someone and have to work at getting through the trauma of that every day. The people who killed Faraad probably have no idea about the trauma they have caused us. They get to live their lives with blood dripping from their hands.
“We have lost someone who was very dear to us. Faraad had been staying in South Africa for many years and ran a successful business. We were unable to attend his funeral as we had to repatriate his body to his home country. Some of his friends, who had become like family over the years, could not even say their farewell properly. We miss him tremendously each and every day.
“His family also continues to enquire from us whether there is any news on the matter. The police really need to pursue this case with urgency as we cannot be left to continue with this pain forever.”
The police at the time of the incident implemented a 72-hour activation plan and launched a manhunt for the suspects.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Sergio Kock said this week that the investigation is still ongoing.
“The provincial Murder and Robbery unit is investigating the murder. No arrest has been effected yet. Anyone with information in connection with the incident can contact Detective Lieutenant-Colonel Doggy Magugu on 082 469 0578. All information will be treated as confidential. The investigation continues,” said Kock.