“Parents will know the outcome of their appeals and late applications by Thursday”
THE NORTHERN Cape Department of Education said that it is working round the clock to finalise school placements before the end of this week.
Department spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe said on Monday that all appeals will be finalised by Thursday, February 11.
“We are working on appeals. The appeal process is running concurrently with the late application process. Parents will know the outcome of their appeals and late applications by Thursday. There are parents who have already received feedback from the department,” said Van der Merwe.
Parents on Monday morning once again lined up at the department’s district offices as they sought to try and find out where their children would be placed.
“We have followed the right procedures by ensuring that we apply timeously. The application process was last year already and we are now in the second month of the new year but we still do not know which schools our children will attend,” a group of angry and frustrated parents said on Monday.
“The department promised that their online admission system would eliminate long lines at school and their district offices, yet that is not the case. As parents we are again left to run around and seek placement for our children. The whole online application process was just a waste of time and energy.
“The department does not make the effort to establish in advance how many learners they have in the Province. Each year they are surprised by the number of applications they receive.
“Many parents will end up sitting at home with their children because their children have not been placed by the time schools open on February 15, 2021,” the parents added.