Home News NC dept denies that high-risk teachers were told to return to schools

NC dept denies that high-risk teachers were told to return to schools

2810
SHARE

The department said a total of 1 110 of the applications from teachers with comorbidities had been approved, allowing these educators to work from home.

07/01/04 An Economics teacher from Tsoseletso High School Bloemfontain teaching new grade 12 students.,pic Thobeka Zazi Ndabula, story Caiphus Kgosana

THE NORTHERN Cape Department of Education has received a total of 2 044 applications from educators with co-morbidities, with just over half of these getting the thumbs up to work from home.

This is according to department spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe, who denied reports that educators with comorbidities had received letters instructing them to report to their various schools on Monday this week.

Van der Merwe said a total of 1 110 of the applications from teachers with comorbidities had been approved, allowing these educators to work from home.

“The profile of these educators are spread across the curriculum and cover a wide range of subjects,” Van der Merwe stated.

He added that the department was taking into consideration the need to accommodate those teachers with comorbidities in critical subjects and the anticipated return of all grades. “A huge shortfall is expected,” Van der Merwe said.

“However, given the huge cost implications linked to substitute educators, the sector is exploring the idea of appointing education assistants to assist those teachers who received approval to work from home.”

Van der Merwe added that the assistants would be paid a stipend and not a full salary.