Home News NC dept approves over 900 applications from high-risk teachers to work from...

NC dept approves over 900 applications from high-risk teachers to work from home

1100
SHARE

The Department of Education announced that more than 2 000 applications from educators with comorbidities had been received.

The Northern Cape Department of Education has approved over 900 applications from high-risk teachers to work from home. File Picture: Itumeleng English

A TOTAL of 908 registrations from educators with comorbidities have been approved by the Northern Cape Department of Education.

The department announced during a virtual press conference on Wednesday that more than 2 000 applications from educators with comorbidities had been received.

The head of the committee for Covid-19 in the department, Thomas van Staden, said the majority of the registrations were referred to the district office.

“More than 1 300 registrations of educators with comorbidities have been referred to the district office for processing in instances where the schools could not make the call. Educators with underlying medical conditions must supply the department with a full medical report stating their condition and where a medical doctor has also stated that they are not able to to work,” he said.

“Due to the risk Covid-19 poses to the health of educators with comorbidities, it has been decided that those educators will work from home. We have looked at educators who teach grades that have not yet been phased in as a replacement for those who are working from home,” he said.

Van Staden stated that a collective declaration of consensus that those with underlying medical conditions have to work from home was signed towards the end of May 2020.

He said that the process was ongoing and those who still needed to be cleared were also advised to work from home.