Home News N Cape dept confirms that 26 schools have been closed due to...

N Cape dept confirms that 26 schools have been closed due to Covid-19

1025
SHARE

Provincial Department of Education's offices have also been affected by the coronavirus

File image

TWENTY-six schools in the Northern Cape have been closed due to Covid-19 infections.

Northern Cape Department of Education spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe said that nine of the schools had been reopened, while 17 are still closed.

“Zingisani Primary School, JJ Booysen Primary School, Elizabeth Conradie Special School, Noupoort Combined School, Remmogo High School, Noord-Kaap Primary School, GN Pressly Intermediate School, Isagontle Primary School, Thabane High School, Tshiamo Primary School, Barkly West High School, Colston Intermediate School, Rietvale High School, Vuyolwethu High School, Kuruman Primary School, Jannie Brink Special School and Shekinah Intermediate School are still closed,” Van der Merwe said.

He added that the bulk of the schools that are directly affected by the Covid-19 infections were situated in the Pixley ka Seme, Frances Baard and John Taolo Gaetsewe districts.

Van der Merwe said the department wanted to curb the spread of infections by temporarily closing the schools.

On June 8, a total of 37 646 grade 7 and 12 pupils returned to schools in the Northern Cape and they were joined by more than 40 000 grade 6 and 11 pupils at the beginning of this week.

Currently, four schools in the Province have still not opened their doors to learning since going into the lockdown.

“The department follows a strict protocol in terms of our standard operating procedures when a positive or a possible Covid-19 case is reported,” said Van der Merwe. “We immediately disinfect the school building and allow for contact tracing to be done. This will ensure that we limit or contain the spread of the virus As additional support, we further determine whether staff or pupils at the affected schools will require psycho-social support and assist in this regard,” said Van der Merwe.

He added that the department’s offices had also been affected by the virus.

“The same protocol applies for all our offices in the Province therefore our head office and the Frances Baard District Office will only open on Monday, July 13. Our Namakwa District Office reopened on Tuesday, with some of the officials still in self-isolation.

“We commend the swift action by the Department of Health in the early detection of Covid-19 cases in our schools and offices, and we will continue to strengthen our collaborative efforts against this invisible enemy,” Van der Merwe concluded.