A year later and still no arrests
A WOMAN who was murdered after apparently being raped in a house in Belgravia earlier this year, is yet to be identified while the man suspected of committing the offence is still at large.
In a statement issued by the SAPS yesterday, police in the Province requested public assistance in their investigation and have asked that anyone who may know the victim to come forward with information.
“On February 2, at about 8am, police found the body of an unknown woman in a house in Elsmere Street in Belgravia,” said police spokesperson, Captain Sergio Kock, yesterday.
“The deceased could be in her mid-40s and was allegedly raped and strangled to death.
“She is dark in complexion, of medium build and was wearing a purple T-shirt and light tracksuit pants.”
“Anyone with information regarding the incident can call Detective Sergeant Modise Moshotloa on
082 688 7127.”
While police on the scene were tight-lipped shortly after the discovery of the woman’s body at the private residence in the upmarket suburb, which was undergoing renovations, it was established that the body was found when workers arrived at the house.
According to one of the workers, they had arrived at the construction site to find the woman face down inside the house.
The witness said that there was no blood on the scene and it did not look like she had been shot or stabbed.
He added that the caretaker, who had been living at the house while renovations were under way, was nowhere to be found.
“We think he may have brought the woman here for some ‘company’,” the worker added.
“After we found the body, we went to see if he was still around. It was then that we realised that he was gone and had taken all his things with him. All that remained was his blanket.”
It was further suspected that the body may have been moved posthumously, while there was also evidence of sexual penetration.
The caretaker is suspected of being the last person to see the deceased alive and is still being sought by members of the SAPS.
“All information will be treated with the strictest of confidence.
“The investigation continues,” Kock added yesterday.