Home News Manhunt launched for awaiting trial prisoners

Manhunt launched for awaiting trial prisoners

477
SHARE

The two escaped from the Pampierstad police holding cells.

Oageng Sehemo

PAMPIERSTAD The police have launched a manhunt after two awaiting trial prisoners escaped in Pampierstad.

The two escapees, Oageng Sehemo, 21, and Thembile Lawrence Fuba, 28, escaped from the Pampierstad police holding cells between February 20 and 21.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Mohale Ramatseba said the two were arrested for burglary at a business premises.

“The circumstances surrounding how they escaped is the subject of an internal investigation. The two escapees are from Pampierstad,” Ramatseba said.

Anyone with information regarding the escapees can contact the investigating officer, Sergeant Thato Tsibane, on 082 416 0698. All information will be treated as confidential.

Police investigations continue.

HARTSWATER A 39-year-old male driver handed himself over to the Hartswater police yesterday after an alleged hit-and-run accident.

According to police spokesperson Captain Sergio Kock, the incident happened on Saturday, February 23, at approximately 9.30pm.

“The collision apparently happened on the N18, approximately 10km outside of Hartswater. It is believed that the unknown male pedestrian was decapitated,” Kock said.

He added that the provincial SAPS Search and Rescue Team and Hartswater SAPS had been searching for the head of the deceased since Sunday, February 25.

“They found it on Tuesday at approximately 3pm in a nearby canal.”

Kock said that although information surrounding the accident is still sketchy, police are requesting that anyone with information regarding the incident please contact the Hartswater Station Commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Isaac Sereetsi, at 082 494 4212.

The police are investigating a case of culpable homicide.

The suspect was arrested and should be appearing in the Hartswater Magistrate’s Court soon.

KIMBERLEY SAPS management in the Northern Cape has strongly refuted the claims made by the DA regarding a “saamtrek” event in Kuruman next week, which was reported to cost taxpayers R450 000.

DA provincial leader Andrew Louw, during the State of the Province reply on Tuesday, also questioned a R2.9 million vehicle that was purchased for Provincial Commissioner Lieutenant-General Risimati Peter Shivuri.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Mohale Ramatseba stated that the provincial commissioner only qualified for a vehicle not exceeding R650 000.

Acting Provincial Commissioner, Major-General Koliswa Otola, called on the DA to submit proof in regards to the event in Kuruman and the vehicle of the provincial commissioner.

“The South African Police Service in the Northern Cape noted with concern the report on the DFA about the `saamtrek` in Kuruman which the Police Management bears no knowledge of. The police do have covert and overt operations which were carried out in the past to respond to crime in terms of our mandate which is section 205(3) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and such operations are mostly kept under wraps until execution, but surprisingly this operation is in the public domain before even being carried out. This raises suspicion about infiltration by some elements.

“It must be put on record that the Provincial Commissioner like any other Provincial Commissioners has purchased vehicles in the past within the bracket as defined by law. If it happens that as a result of the vast distances the vehicle travels it becomes unserviceable, the National Commissioner or any Government Department might assist until a suitable vehicle is procured. Where there is a threat, security would normally increase.

“The Provincial Commissioner demands to see the car which bears his name as he has never seen it. He would like to see the vehicle which cost R2,9 million. It must be a very sophisticated vehicle or armoured vehicle since the Provincial Commissioner`s life is under threat and a Good Samaritan heard the prayers to protect him from the assassins.

“The Provincial Commissioner has directed that whoever is in possession of the said vehicle must bring it to his office for inspection and utilization in terms of Section12 of Police Act No 68 of 1995 to fulfil Section 205(3) of the Constitution.”

PROVINCE The Department of Health will hand over 579 specialised wheelchairs and other assistive devices before the end of March, when the current financial year expires.

Makatong requested patients who were no longer using assistive devices, including crutches, walking frames, wheelchairs, hearing aids, etc, to return them so that they could be remodelled for further use.