Home News Man killed for R5

Man killed for R5

1271
SHARE

“The ANC sends it heartfelt condolences to the parents and friends of all the young people who lost their lives due to these senseless killings, we are committed to ensuring that this ends and that it ends now.”

Seen here is Thabang with his mother, Bushy Sekonyane. Picture: Supplied

THE ANC in the Northern Cape has called for a meeting with Provincial Police Commissioner, Lieutenant-General Risimati Shivuri to discuss the “senseless violence that has erupted in Galeshewe”.

This follows the recent murder of a 25-year-old man who was stabbed multiple times after an altercation with the suspect, who had demanded R5, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Last week, 23-year-old Neo Fembers was murdered in Edward Moeng Street in Galeshewe. It is believed that he was on his way home after visiting a tavern when he was stabbed multiple times, while Boniface Ndlovu (17) was killed last month for his shoes and Tshepiso Thompson (16) was stabbed to death earlier this month for his jacket and sneakers.

Police spokesperson Captain Bashoabile Kale said yesterday that the police were investigating a case of murder following the killing of the 25-year-old man on Saturday.

It is believed that community crime-fighting organisation Operation Wanya Tsotsi arrested the suspect and handed him over to police.

“We received a call about another murder. We also need to make it very clear that this murder is not gang related. It has nothing to do with the Destruction Boyz or any other gang,” Operation Wanya Tsotsi said on its Facebook page.

“It was Operation Wanya Tsotsi members who spent sleepless nights finding the suspects in the murders of Boniface Ndlovu and Tshepiso Thompson and handing them over to the police.”

On the same platform, it requested police to stop threatening its members and putting them in police cells for dealing “with these thugs”.

“They are constantly reminding us that we are not the police and we will be arrested.”

“The Galeshewe station commander, Brigadier Tlhokomelang Diakanyo, applauded the vigilance and assistance of the community for arresting the suspect and encourages the community to continue being the ears and eyes of the police,” Kale said.

The suspect is expected to appear in the Galeshewe Magistrate’s Court soon.

Meanwhile, ANC provincial secretary Deshi Ngxanga said yesterday that the party had noted with great concern the senseless violence that has erupted in Galeshewe, which ultimately resulted in the deaths of a number of young people.

“We have, as the ANC, been committed to working with residents to rid our communities of all forms of crime, drugs and gangsterism. We are of the strong view that the loss of one life is one life too many,” Ngxanga said.

He added that the ANC would take action on many fronts, as well as seek an audience with the provincial police commissioner.

“This is to ensure that we increase and strengthen police visibility in Galeshewe, especially since we are going into the Easter weekend. We will call upon the police commissioner to declare a war on crime and gangsterism induced by the illegal drug trade within our communities,” said Ngxanga.

“We are calling for the deployment of the police’s tactical response team to deal decisively with crime-ridden hot spots and to flush out the drug lords and dens wherever they are hiding.”

Ngxanga also called on parents to ensure that they reported suspicious and criminal behaviour to law enforcement agencies and local community policing forums.

“The ANC sends it heartfelt condolences to the parents and friends of all the young people who lost their lives due to these senseless killings, we are committed to ensuring that this ends and that it ends now.”