Home News Kimberley cops hunt armed robbery suspects

Kimberley cops hunt armed robbery suspects

Picture: Danie van der Lith

THE KIMBERLEY police are searching for three male suspects who were involved in a house robbery incident in Moghul Park on Monday morning.

Police spokesperson Captain Sergio Kock said a fourth suspect was shot and killed during a shoot-out between the suspects and community neighbourhood watch members, while a fifth suspect was arrested.

“The owner of the house and his wife were woken up at about 8am by five robbers, four males and a female,” said Kock. “The robbers had firearms and severely assaulted the couple before tying them up.

“They took the homeowner’s firearm and a substantial amount of cash from the safe and fled the scene.

Kock said that neighbourhood watch members and the fleeing robbers became involved in a shoot-out.

“One male robber, aged 35, and a 30-year-old female bystander were injured during the crossfire that occurred in the street close to the premises.

“Both the injured parties were transported to hospital for medical treatment, however, the male suspect later passed on,” added Kock.

He said that the female suspect was apprehended.

“A 24-year-old female suspect was arrested and the other three males are currently still at large. Anyone with information regarding the suspects is requested to call Detective Sergeant Eunice Ngono on 053 836 2602 or Detective Constable Desmond Maruping on 060 611 5421. Alternatively, you can SMS anonymously to 32211 or contact us on the MySAPS app.”

Kock advised community members to alert law enforcement authorities before trying to apprehend the suspects, who may still be armed.

“The community is warned not to approach the suspects, but to rather contact the SAPS, as they are presumed to be armed and dangerous. All information will be treated with the strictest of confidence,” he said.

Kock added that the police have opened an inquest following the fatal shooting of one of the robbery suspects.

“The police opened an inquest docket into the death of the 35-year-old male and no arrests have been effected as yet. The investigation continues.”

Previous articleDemocracy in Action questions whether the state capture commission should hand over its report to Ramaphosa
Next articlePremier Saul launches festive season safety plan