The Galeshewe police promised to arrange a follow-up meeting within seven days to respond to the demands.
AROUND 30 young women – students, learners, mothers and community members – marched to the Galeshewe police station to hand over a memorandum of demands in support of the ‘Justice for Thuto’ campaign.
The police accepted the memorandum and promised to arrange a follow-up meeting with the group within seven days to respond to their demands.
The group is taking a stand against the assault, abuse, victimisation, harassment, and murder of women and girl children following the death of Grade 9 pupil Thuto Moitse, 15, who died after getting into a fight with a 15-year-old boy on November 7 last year.
The Galeshewe teen was allegedly assaulted and choked by the boy and his father.
Thuto complained of chest and stomach pains the following day and was vomiting. She was admitted for medical treatment to Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Hospital and died on November 9.
Outraged Galeshewe community members are aggrieved that no one has been arrested in connection with her death and that there has apparently been no progress in the police investigation.
The community members have called on law enforcement officials to speed up the case.
They have demanded that the suspects be arrested so as to be prevented from “interfering in the investigation”.
The community has also questioned what the “irritant or unknown substance” was that Thuto ingested as revealed in the post-mortem results.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Dimakatso Mooi said last week that the police are still investigating an inquest docket.
“The post-mortem results indicated that the deceased died after ingesting an irritant substance. The assault case opened by the parents is also being investigated,” Mooi said at the time.