Home News Job ad for screeners a scam – NC dept

Job ad for screeners a scam – NC dept

2037
SHARE

The advertisement apparently invited applications from individuals to be appointed as screeners at schools from June 1 for six months on an Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) contract.

Picture: Supplied

A JOB advertisement that promised potential screeners at schools a monthly payment of between R3 500 and R4 500 has been dismissed as a “scam” by the Northern Cape Department of Education.

The advertisement apparently invited applications from individuals to be appointed as screeners at schools from June 1 for six months on an Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) contract.

“We disassociate ourselves with the job advertisement. We do not know its origin,” Northern Cape Department of Education spokesperson Lehuma Ntuane told screeners yesterday morning.

A group of around 50 screeners, mostly unemployed youth, converged on the Department of Education on Thursday morning to obtain clarity regarding their outstanding stipends and how much they would be paid.

The screeners have threatened to down tools on Monday.

The screeners, some of whom have still not been paid for the month of June, said on Thursday afternoon that they had learnt through the media that they would only be paid R2 500.

While the small group gathered at the Department of Education’s offices on Thursday morning, most screeners remained at their posts at schools to monitor pupils as they arrived.

The screeners also indicated yesterday that they were concerned about reports that schools might be closed until after the peak of the epidemic had passed and they questioned whether they would still receive their stipends should this happen.

They also asked for clarity regarding how much they would be paid and when, adding that they had been sent from “pillar to post” to try and get answers.

The screeners were assured by the department that schools would not close.

The department further indicated that the capturing of documents for payment should be sped up after additional teams were recruited to assist with the capturing.

Those who felt that the stipend of R2 500 was not enough were advised to seek legal advice.

Another concern raised by the screeners was a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), which they said the department had promised them.

“This is a dangerous job as we are exposed to the virus. The least we should have received was a protective suit and enough gloves and masks, but all we have been provided with so far is one mask each.”

Ntuane said that all screeners were supposed to have received their PPEs, including two masks per screener.

He stated that it had been agreed with the screeners that those who had not been paid, would receive their payments for June and July together at the end of this month.

According to the Department of Education, a total of 1 976 screeners were appointed on a norms basis in the Northern Cape, with one screener for every 200 pupils.