Home News ’Interventions’ under way after three NC schools shut down – dept

’Interventions’ under way after three NC schools shut down – dept

280

The Northern Cape Department of Education said on Wednesday that infrastructure interventions were under way at three schools so that schooling could resume.

One of the classrooms at Nico Bekker Intermediate School in Williston. Picture: Supplied

THE NORTHERN Cape Department of Education said on Wednesday that infrastructure interventions were under way at Kgomotso High School, Hantam High School and Nico Bekker Intermediate School so that schooling could resume.

The three schools were closed earlier this week due to infrastructure-related challenges.

Department spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe said four mobile classrooms would be delivered to Kgomotso High School in Jan Kempdorp on Wednesday.

“Only 406 Grade 10 learners were affected, where they were placed on a rotational timetable since the start of the school year. The delivery of the four mobile classrooms will ensure that all Grade 10 learners will be able to attend school daily,’ said Van der Merwe.

“At Hantam High School in Calvinia, 18 classrooms will no longer be utilised as they were reported to have a vibration on the school building. For the safety of educators, learners and support staff, the classrooms will be cordoned off until the necessary infrastructure work has been completed to safeguard the building.

“The department has initiated the procurement of 14 mobile classrooms as an interim measure, which will allow for all learners to return to school. We expect the delivery of all mobile classrooms towards the end of August.

“The school will remain on a rotational timetable model until all mobile classrooms are delivered and all learners can be accommodated.”

Van der Merwe added that the department had settled the outstanding Eskom account of Nico Bekker Intermediate School in Williston, amounting to R73,000.

“The electrical cables of the school were stolen and this left the school without electricity. The department appointed a contractor to restore the electricity supply to the school. We expect learning and teaching to commence on Monday, August 8.”

Previous articleMore than 37,000 vehicle licence renewals processed via Post Office’s online system
Next articleSenzo Meyiwa murder trial: I have Jesus and need no augmentation, says Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela