CPAP machines to be distributed to clinics and health facilities in all five districts of the Northern Cape
THE GIFT of the Givers Foundation handed over 72 CPAP machine compressors to the Northern Cape Department of Health on Monday to boost medical resources during the Covid-19 second wave, which has seen a spike in the number of infections.
Dr Ahmed Byhat, from Gift of the Givers Foundation, explained that the CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machines were non-invasive as they supplied a continuous stream of pressurised air that travels through an air filter into a flexible tube that is fitted to a facial mask.
“The high-pressure compressors are cost effective as they only need to be connected to an oxygen supply and can be disinfected and reused. Purified air is delivered into a mask that is sealed around the nose and mouth while oxygen enters the airways and into the lungs,” said Byhat.
Ahmed Jinnah, also from Gift of the Givers Foundation, said that more compressors would be handed over in the next month in conjunction with other sponsors, including the Solidarity Fund.
The MEC for Health, Maruping Lekwene, said that the compressors, which are valued at R90,000, would be distributed to clinics and health facilities in all five districts of the Province.
“We are very grateful to Gift of the Givers for this generous donation. It will go a long way towards saving lives and treating patients during the second wave of the pandemic,” said Lekwene.
He added that state health facilities are equipped and prepared to handle the expected influx of patients during the second wave.
“We have increased our supplies of oxygen tanks and mobile units and have provided additional resources after conducting an assessment in the districts. Emergency response teams have been reinforced where needed and have ensured that there are enough beds available.”
Lekwene said that during the first wave of the pandemic the Northern Cape had recorded the lowest number of infections and a delayed peak.
Meanwhile, the acting head at the Department of Health, Dr Dion Theys, said on Monday that there had been a 96 percent reduction in trauma admissions to the Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Hospital in Kimberley over the festive season as a result of the revised Level 3 restrictions, which include a 9pm curfew and a ban on alcohol sales.
He said that there were no trauma admissions on New Year’s Eve. “There were only two trauma patients who were treated on January 1 while on Christmas Day there was also a marked drop in the number of patients.
“Freeing up space in the trauma units allows for a greater bed capacity for Covid-19 patients,” said Theys.