Home News GBVF groups call for husband’s bail to be revoked

GBVF groups call for husband’s bail to be revoked

327

GBVF organisations are calling for the court to revoke the bail of a Kimberley husband who allegedly stabbed his wife with a knife in her genitals and attempted to murder her.

File picture

GENDER-based violence and femicide (GBVF) organisations are calling for the court to revoke the bail of a Kimberley husband who allegedly stabbed his wife with a knife in her genitals and attempted to murder her.

The complainant detailed the extent of her injuries on social media and posted a video showing the accused allegedly injecting drugs into her stomach.

It is alleged that she was raped after she was assaulted and three different cases of assault and domestic violence were reported between November 2023 and May this year.

The woman has since been placed in a place of safety along with her two young children.

SAPS spokesperson Sergeant Timothy Sam said the police in Kimberley were investigating a rape and attempted murder case following the rape and assault of a 29-year-old woman in Kimberley on May 9.

“Preliminary investigations indicate that the accused allegedly assaulted and raped his wife and was subsequently arrested,” said Sam. “The case is currently on the court roll and investigations are at an advanced stage.”

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regional spokesperson Mojalefa Senokoatsane said that the State had not opposed the bail application as the accused had no pending matters.

“The complainant had also requested that he should not be denied bail due to personal reasons. She had already withdrawn the two matters against him when the accused appeared on June 4 for the current matter,” said Senokoatsane.

He indicated that the State would reinstate the other two matters against the accused.

He also stated that the State would not be able to revoke the bail application, adding that “a magistrate granted a protection order against the accused”.

Senokoatsane added that the matter was postponed until July 4.

Gregory Nyongane, on behalf of the Northern Cape Crime Against GBVF, Batho Pele, Women of Substance and alliance partners, believed that the bail of R1,000 granted to the accused should be revoked due to the seriousness of the charges.

“All GBVF stakeholders want his bail conditions to be reviewed. The matter should be dealt with speedily and should be referred to the Northern Cape High Court. If found guilty the accused must be served with the harshest sentence applicable,” said Nyongane.

Phokwane Service Delivery Forum leader Michael Castro Setlhogomi was “flabbergasted” by the alleged brutal incident of domestic violence.

“The complainant originally comes from Phokwane. Sadly, this is not an isolated incident as thousands of women are abused and ultimately killed at the hands of men,” Setlhogomi pointed out.

He added that there was a lack of resources to support victims of GBVF.

Setlhogomi called for the matter to receive urgent attention and that all GBVF organisations support the complainant.

“She must not become another statistic. Law enforcement agencies must ensure the safety of the complainant and her children.”

An injury sustained by the complainant. Picture: Supplied
Previous articleAlleged cop killer faces fraud charges
Next articleNPO aims to make big strides with fund-raising walk