Home News Family still needs answers

Family still needs answers


Raneisha’s family is battling to come to terms with her death and wants to know what led to the fight

THERE are still no answers for the Van Wyk family after their 14-year-old daughter was fatally stabbed, allegedly by a fellow pupil, in the principal’s office at Rosedale Primary School on Wednesday.

Raneisha “Poena” Athleen van Wyk, a Grade 8 pupil, was stabbed with a knife, allegedly by a 16-year-old female pupil, just after 7am, after the two were called to the principal’s office. She died in an ambulance on her way to hospital.

It is believed that the two pupils were summoned to the principal’s office following an altercation on the school’s premises on Tuesday.

Raneisha’s family is battling to come to terms with her death and wants to know what led to the fight.

A forensic report revealed that Raneisha was stabbed twice – in the neck and in the chest.

It is believed that the chest wound led to her death.

The two girls were reportedly also involved in a fight a few months back.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Mohale Ramatseba confirmed that the suspect linked to the stabbing was arrested and is currently at a place of safety.

According to Ramatseba, the suspect will be assessed by a probation officer for a preliminary hearing and court appearance.

Even though they are battling with the many unanswered questions, the family promised to allow the law to take its course.

Raneisha’s death is the second tragedy to hit the family, after Raneisha’s aunt, Samoline Solomons, was allegedly shot several times by her husband in front of her mother and 10-year-old daughter.

Solomons was buried in Upington on Saturday and her husband, 42-year-old Collin Solomons, appeared in court this week where he was denied bail.

One of Raneisha’s aunts, Tia van Wyk, said that the family is struggling to come to terms with the tragedies.

“It is still very painful for the mother as she cries a lot, especially after losing a close cousin tragically last week.

“But she is not bitter, neither judgmental with regard to the incident at all,” said Tia.

Tia added that friends and family are trying to support each other through this difficult time.

The family plans to bury Raneisha next week Saturday and expressed appreciation for the school’s support following the incident.

Previous articleOne dead, six injured in crash
Next articleKgalagadi’s positive new tourism story