Home News Eskom still plans to cut power to municipalities

Eskom still plans to cut power to municipalities

471
SHARE

Eskom stated that payment on the outstanding accounts had not improved despite attempts to amicably reach an agreement to settle the debts.

File image: IOL.

ESKOM still plans on going ahead with the electricity interruptions at Dikgatlong, Magareng and Gamagara municipalities as from January 12, due to non-payment, where notices were issued last week to the affected towns.

Eskom stated that payment on the outstanding accounts had not improved despite attempts to amicably reach an agreement to settle the debts.

Dikgatlong municipality owes Eskom R43,8 million, while Magareng municipality is in arrears to the amount of R26,6 million and Gamagara municipality is R55 million behind in its payments.

The power utility has warned users to ensure that generators or back-up supplies were in good working order, for the duration of the electricity interruptions.

The power cuts will come into effect from 6am until 8am and in the evenings from 5pm until 7.30pm during the week.

Over weekends the electricity supply will be interrupted from 8.30am until 11am in the mornings and again from 3pm until 5.30pm.

Eskom on Friday announced that it would suspend the planned interruption of bulk supply to Phokwane Local Municipality after the municipality delivered a payment plan and made payments that met Eskom’s expectations.

Stephanie Janse van Rensburg from Eskom corporate affairs division in the Free State unit, stated that the electricity supply to Hartswater, Ganspan and Jan Kempdorp would have been impacted by the interruptions.

“In the event that Phokwane local municipality fails to honour its current account or default on the payment plan, Eskom will revert to interrupting the bulk supply to the municipality during the morning and evening peak hours.”

She added that Eskom published a notice on November 24 announcing its intention to interrupt the power supply to Phokwane municipality due to debts of R40,1 million that has been outstanding and escalating since June 2015.

Meanwhile, the Northern Cape operating unit delivered the second mobile substation in Kimberley, that was designed to provide continuity of supply to areas where electricity could be interrupted.

The first unit was delivered in March this year to minimise the duration of an outage when Eskom lost three transformers at Harrison substation on the outskirts of Barkly West.

Janse van Rensburg said the plan to purchase the two 132/66-22/11kV mobile transformers started in 2012.

“Following a rigorous procurement procedure, Siemens was awarded the contract to manufacture the units. They are the first units in the world to be designed at 132/66-22/11kV voltage ratio. Much focus was on the reduction on both size and weight of the transformer to improve ease of transportability and application of the units.”

General manager of the Northern Cape operating unit Klaas Gouws said the specialised mobile transformers could be temporarily used during breakdowns, maintenance or refurbishment of a sub-station.