Both the Kimberley and Upington offices are closed due to two positive cases – one at each office.
THE DEPARTMENT of Employment and Labour has confirmed that the Kimberley and Upington offices will be closed from July 20, 2020, until further notice, due to two positive Covid-19 cases.
Department spokesperson, Teboho Thejane, said on Monday that one official in each of the two offices had tested positive.
“The affected officials are currently receiving necessary medical support and the tracing of possible contacts is completed with other individuals advised to go on mandatory self-isolation for 10 days in line with the new Department of Health Covid-19 protocol guidelines,” he sad.
Zolile Albanie, Chief Director: Provincial Operations, said the Kimberley and Upington offices would be closed from Monday to allow for sourcing of the service provider to decontaminate the affected offices in line with the Covid-19 protocol. “We are aware of the negative impact this state of affairs will have on our vulnerable clients we serve, however the health and safety of our officials also come first,” he stated.
“The Director-General of the department has previously stated that the safety of staff remains paramount. “Our officials are an important cog of the working of the South African economy and as such, we will also ensure that they are as safe as possible,” he added.
The matter has been reported to the Department of Health to enable proper care and necessary support.