Home News Eight Nigerians accused of attacking city cops remain behind bars

Eight Nigerians accused of attacking city cops remain behind bars

477

Eight Nigerian men, arrested for allegedly attacking the Kimberley police, are set to formally apply for bail on Tuesday.

The accused – Onogu Nwaemeka, Kelecho Oken, Ebot Kennedy, Chijioke Steven, Charles Aknaji, Umemba Sophuru, Amajoyi Tochukwu and Charles Okerie Onyedikashi – were arrested after they allegedly attacked the Kimberley police station, as well as members of the SAPS. Picture: NPA

By Se-Anne Rall

EIGHT Nigerian men, arrested for allegedly attacking the Kimberley police, are set to formally apply for bail on Tuesday.

The accused – Onogu Nwaemeka, Kelecho Oken, Ebot Kennedy, Chijioke Steven, Charles Aknaji, Umemba Sophuru, Amajoyi Tochukwu and Charles Okerie Onyedikash – appeared in the Kimberley District Court on April 26 and the matter was remanded to April 30.

The accused were arrested on charges of malicious damage to property, interference with the law, assault and public violence after they allegedly attacked police officers at the Kimberley police station.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said the police had arrested a Nigerian national and the men demanded that he be released.

According to the police, violence erupted during an incident where police officers were following up on information and the whereabouts of a Nigerian national alleged to be in possession of drugs.

“Mayhem broke out as the police tried to contain the situation and the accused started to attack the police, as well as damage state property. Specialised tactical police reinforcements were called and the eight accused were arrested,” said the NPA spokesperson in the Northern Cape, Mojalefa Senokoatsane.

Senokoatsane explained that the matter was previously remanded for bail information, as well as further investigations.

“During their second appearance, the court heard that outstanding information was needed to enable the state to decide on this matter going forward,” he said.

The men remain in custody and are due back in court at the end of the month.

Previous articleNC police visit schools to promote safety
Next articleANC affiliation, nepotism claims spark complaint over traffic officers’ ‘irregular’ hiring