Home News Covid-19 puts city cash heist case on hold

Covid-19 puts city cash heist case on hold


The accused appeared in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

File image

THE K&B Supermarket cash heist case, related to an incident that occurred in Beaconsfield in 2015, could once again not proceed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The case was delayed for some time during the national lockdown.

During the incident in 2015 a group of armed robbers held up G4S security guards, while they were collecting money from an ATM adjacent to K&B Supermarket in Beaconsfield, and stole an estimated R4.5 million in cash and a firearm.

Several accused were apprehended by the police, while two vehicles, cash and firearms were seized.

The accused – Modisaotsile Diseko, Jones Mashigo, Thabiso Ramabusa, Seikanyo Manynama, Bongani Nomtsheke, Zeth Mthuthuzeli Huhu, Ishmael Kgosimere, Ezekiel Sebigo and Carl van Graaf – appeared in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

The accused are facing charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances, attempted murder, theft of a motor vehicle, illegal possession of firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.

The legal representative for Van Graaf, advocate Sakkie Nel, said that his client had tested positive for Covid-19.

“His wife also tested positive and died last Sunday,” said Nel

The legal representative for Kgosimere, Mr Pieterse, stated that his client was booked off from August 28 until September 3 after he was diagnosed with acute bronchitis.

“I spoke to him over the phone and he was coughing repeatedly, he could hardly speak,” said Pieterse.

Magistrate Danie Schneider said that the court would consider proceeding with the trial in the absence of the accused.

“We cannot expect Van Graaf to appear based on the documentation that was handed in. However, Kgosimere’s condition does not appear to be life threatening,” said Schneider.

The case was postponed until Tuesday.

Schneider issued a warrant for the arrest of Kgosimere and Van Graaf. The warrant of arrest will be held over until Tuesday.

Mashigo and Manynama are still in custody.

Advocate Quinton Hollander appeared on behalf of the State.

Previous articleBafana skipper Ronwen Williams wants to focus on what’s ahead
Next articleMusic goes silent as Afghanistan adjusts to Taliban rule