Home News Covid-19: City woman waiting for virus results

Covid-19: City woman waiting for virus results

640
SHARE

It is believed that the woman consulted a local doctor in the city on Friday. She was tested for coronavirus after she ticked all the boxes

WHILE four more people have tested positive for the coronavirus in South Africa, bringing the total number of cases in the country to seven, it is believed that a woman, who had recently returned from France, is in self quarantine in Kimberley.

It is believed that the woman consulted a local doctor in the city on Friday. She was tested for coronavirus after she ticked all the boxes.

Her results were still being awaited yesterday.

Another local patient, who had been teaching in China, was also tested about two weeks ago but his results came back negative.

According to the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, more than 300 people throughout the country have been tested.

He was speaking during an update briefing by the inter-ministerial committee dealing with coronavirus.

Mkhize announced that the four new coronavirus cases had been confirmed in KwaZulu-Natal. The four were part of the group who were on a skiing holiday in Italy’s northern area of Milan.

One of the group of 10 had not returned to South Africa but had gone to the UK.

“A further four, who were part of the team, have been found to be positive for coronavirus,” Mkhize stated.

Two of the four are a couple from KwaZulu-Natal. “They are in quarantine and have not been admitted to hospital,” he stated, adding that only the woman had displayed symptoms, although both had tested positive.

The other two positive members of the group is a 45-year-old male patient, who has symptoms and is also in quarantine, and a 38-year-old male. They are both from Pietermaritzburg.

Mkhize meanwhile stated that the patient in the North West, whose initial test results were inconclusive, had been confirmed in a second test to be negative.

The 26-year-old female, who was suspected of Covid-19, had been transferred from Joe Morolong Memorial Hospital (JMMH) in Vryburg to Klerksdorp/Tshepong Hospital.

Mkhize added that the department was awaiting the results of the tests on the other outstanding members of the skiing group.

He added, however, that he was “not surprised” with the positive results.

“We are now focusing on tracking all the other contacts, including those seated up to two rows ahead and two rows behind them on the plane”.

Mkhize added that the people who were affected had been to countries other than China. “We need to be more vigilant as those affected could be from any country.”

South Africa’s first coronavirus patient was a 38-year-old Hilton businessman who was part of the Italy travel group.

A 39-year-old woman, who was also part of the group, later tested positive, Mkhize announced on Saturday.

On the same day, the ministry announced that the wife of the first coronavirus patient had also tested positive.

The Northern Cape Department of Health did not comment yesterday on reports regarding the two local suspected cases.

Meanwhile, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga has assured South Africans that precautionary measures against the coronavirus are being taken at schools.

“We have sent a circular to all our schools to provide guidelines on what to do in terms of general hygiene standards,” Motshekga said.

Addressing a media briefing in Tshwane yesterday, the minister said her department was in constant communication with the Department of Health as it is leading the interventions regarding the management of cases.

“There are basic things that we have advised schools to encourage pupils to do such as washing their hands, covering their mouths when they cough, avoiding contact with sick people and avoiding touching their ears, eyes and nose. Seek medical help if you are sick,” Motshekga said.

She added that the Department of Health would communicate should any announcements be made specifically on the coronavirus.

“We constantly communicate with the provinces, as far as the Health Department assessment we have not reached a level where we can panic. We are taking all the precautionary measures but we don’t want to unnecessarily create panic when there is no need for it,” she said.