There is no certainty whether schools will reopen tomorrow as the Northern Cape Department of Education is awaiting a final update from the police on the recent protests.
There is no certainty whether schools will reopen tomorrow as the Northern Cape Department of Education is awaiting a final update from the police on the recent protests and whether it will affect the commencing of school tomorrow.
Departmental spokesperson, Geoffrey van der Merwe said there are no threats reported thus far that will jeoperdise the re-opening of schools in the Sol Plaatje municipal area.
“We are concerned over the recent spate of ongoing protests in the Sol Plaatje Municipal area since last week, as schools are preparing to open for the third term tomorrow, July 17, 2018, as per school calendar. At this stage, we are at risk of losing valuable learning and teaching time if an amicable solution or agreement is not reached. However, we are continuing to engage the SAPS to provide us with regular updates as they are monitoring the situation. We have the best interest of educators and learners at heart and their safety is our first priority,” said van der Merwe.
He advised parents to use their discretion should they want to keep their children home.
“We further appeal to educators, parents and learners to use their own discretion and assess whether it is safe to go school. In the event that schooling is negatively affected, we can assure parents that our District office will immediately implement recovery plans in all the affected schools as soon as the situation returns back to normal. We are appealing to the public to ensure that schooling commence as normal and to afford our learners and educators the right to education. We are entering a crucial term, especially for our matriculants, as they prepare for their final examinations,” van der Merwe said.