The centre, that had 70 children between the ages of three and six years, had received generous donations that allowed them to continue with their classes
ST MATTHEWS Educational Centre, that was destroyed by a fire in February this year, will open its doors at its new premises at 127 Gladstone Avenue, De Beers, in the new school year.
A fire that resulted from an electrical fault, caused extensive damage to the premises where the building had to be demolished.
All the furniture, kitchen equipment, stoves, desks, chairs, microwaves, computers, hard drives, stationary, cutlery and crockery was burnt beyond use in the fire, which started in the kitchen and apparatus room.
No one was injured during the incident.
The principal of the centre, Sharon Block, said that they were given notice to vacate the premises in Barkly Road by the end of September.
“We received notice in June but had nowhere else to go and I requested an extension after we relocated to the hall. Thankfully a friend donated the new premises to us that has a large hall and a number of rooms in the house. A container that was donated to us will be used to accommodate the Grade R class.”
She added that the centre, that had 70 children between the ages of three and six years, had received generous donations that allowed them to continue with their classes.
“We received various donations from Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban, as well as De Beers, the departments of Education and Social Development and private businesses. I have been teaching for 32 years and all my learning material was destroyed in the fire.”
She stated that the centre would be open for new applications in the new year.