Cable theft remains a nightmare at the Roodepan flats as households continue to suffer from blackouts that can last for weeks.
CABLE theft remains a nightmare at the Roodepan flats as households continue to suffer from blackouts that can last for weeks.
The local residents, who are mostly single women-headed households, have complained that they can be without electricity for up to a month while waiting for the stolen cables to be replaced.
The women, who often have to rely on torches to move around in the dark, also pointed out that the blackouts make the area unsafe for them and their children.
Several units like Barbara Court and Beatrice Court have been suffering at the hands of cable thieves lately.
Households in Barbara Court have been without electricity for more than two weeks after their power box was vandalised earlier this month.
After Sol Plaatje Municipality replaced the cables, another block was hit and they had to wait for a week for the power to be restored.
The municipality replaced the cables on Tuesday and on the very same night, the mains box was again vandalised.
One of the residents said they were left speechless when they made the discovery the following morning.
“It was very embarrassing to see what our own people are putting us through. We woke up with no electricity and went downstairs to see what the problem was at the mains box, only to find the cables cut out,” she said.
Another resident said that they take it in turns to go to the municipality to enquire about the electricity as they are afraid of being “completely forgotten”.
The women complained that they never get updates as to when their electricity will be restored as their ward councillor also seems to be getting tired of making the same enquiry for different units.
One of the women said they were told by the municipal maintenance team that it will take a long time to restore the electricity as the damage is extensive.
“The workers told us that they have to compile a report, then do a requisition, then find a contractor, who has to do inspections in order to submit his own report,” said the woman.
Sol Plaatje municipal spokesperson Thoko Riet said on Thursday that the stolen cables were replaced and she has not received any new complaints.