Home News BREAKING: Ramaphosa declares Covid-19 national disaster

BREAKING: Ramaphosa declares Covid-19 national disaster

183
SHARE

61 cases now confirmed.

Pretoria – President Cyril Ramaphosa says there are now 61 confirmed cases of coronavirus in South Africa and has declared a national state of disaster.

“We are now dealing with internal transmission of the virus,” the president.

Ramaphosa was addressing the country from the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Sunday after a special Cabinet meeting to discuss matters related to the pandemic.

“We have now declared a national state of disaster. We will set up emergency and rapid response systems,” Ramaphosa said.

The following measures will also be in place amongst others:

* Limited contact with persons who may be infected.

* Travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries, including China, Iran and the US, as of 18 March 2020.

* Cancelled visas from certain countries and previously granted visas are now cancelled.

* South Africans returning from high-risk countries will be subject to testing and self-quarantine.

* Gatherings of more than 100 people are now halted.

* Schools will be closed from Wednesday.

Ramaphosa says the government will be partnering with the private sector to set up a national tracking and monitoring system for all coronavirus cases.

For more information visit: https://sacoronavirus.co.za/ or join the Department of Health’s WhatsApp group on 0600 123 456. 

IOL