Home News Body of missing girl found in veld

Body of missing girl found in veld

516
The body of 11-year-old Relebogile Segami who was reported missing, was discovered dumped in the veld behind the Northern Cape Provincial Legislature building. Picture: Supplied

THE BODY of 11-year-old Relebogile Segami who was reported missing, was discovered dumped in the veld behind the Northern Cape Provincial Legislature building this on Thursday afternoon.

The discovery was made during an intensive multi-disciplinary search by the Galeshewe FCS unit, Kimberley K9 unit, Galeshewe Visible police and Kimberley Search and Rescue Team.

Police spokesperson Captain Olebogeng Tawana said the discovery follows the launch of a multi disciplinary search by the Galeshewe FCS after the 11-year-old was reported missing.

“She was last seen on Wednesday, 30 March 2022 when she left her home in Latlhi Mabilo Street, Galeshewe in the company of her friends.

“She never returned home. According to the report her friends left her in the vicinity of Kagisho area and since then her whereabouts is unknown,” said Tawana.

Tawana said a 24-year-old man has been arrested and charged with the murder of 11-year-old Relebogile Segami.

“He is expected to appear in the Galeshewe Magistrate’s Court soon,” said Tawana.

The community of Madiba Park settlement where the body was found was outraged and highlighted how they have been complaining about their safety in that area.

The community said the area was used as a dumping ground of dead bodies..

That is after several bodies were found there.

A woman’s body was found in the same veld after a dog was found dragging around a human arm.

The woman has not been identified yet.

The settlement is the ward of the Executive mayor of Sol Plaatje Kagisho Sonyoni, who condemned the brutal murder in the strongest manner.

The mayor issued a statement where he expressed his shock.

“The murder of the 11-year-old behind the legislature precinct has shocked us to the core and should be condemned by all,” read the statement.

“The executive mayor calls everyone with information to work with the police to apprehend the suspect.

“No area within our municipal area will be allowed to be a criminal den.

“As the municipality through the Speaker’s office will work with law enforcement agencies and the community to make our informal areas safe together with the newly being established Ward Committees.

“We extend our condolences to all the families who have lost loved ones through violent crimes.

“We call on the justice system to punish the offenders harshly.”

Previous articleToyota GR Corolla revealed as 224kW Golf R rival, and we’re in love!
Next articleMedical equipment handed over to healthcare facilities