Home News Arrest of MECs fake news – Hawks

Arrest of MECs fake news – Hawks

251
File picture

The Hawks have dismissed as fake news a post on social media claiming that two Northern Cape MECs, along with three officials from the SA Social Security Agency (Sassa) and two other people, had been arrested on charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering.

THE DIRECTORATE for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) has dismissed as fake news a post on social media claiming that two Northern Cape MECs, along with three officials from the SA Social Security Agency (Sassa) and two other people, had been arrested on charges of fraud, corruption and money laundering.

The post, which was widely circulated on Wednesday, stated that the officials were arrested at their respective residences in Kimberley on charges involving “millions of rand” that related to events that took place between May 2005 and December 2009.

It was claimed that the suspects would appear in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court.

Both the Hawks and SAPS were unable to confirm any arrests on Wednesday.

Hawks provincial spokesperson Nomthandazo Mnisi noted that the fake post had “gone viral”.

“The Hawks can confirm that there were no arrests made with regards to the said report,” said Mnisi.

“This is at utmost fake news from an unreliable source.

“Members of the community are still encouraged to report crime whenever it occurs,” added Mnisi.

Previous articleCommunity health workers still to sign contracts
Next articleGaleshewe woman shakes her way to R100,000