Maruping stated that the fund would continue to process those claims that are in the system.
THE UNEMPLOYMENT Insurance Fund has promised that all valid Ters (Temporary Employer-Employee Relief Scheme) claims will be paid.
Spokesperson for the Department of Employment and Labour, Makhosonke Buthelezi, said on Monday that as the Unemployment Insurance Fund started to wind down the massive campaign of supporting workers through the worst effects of the Coronavirus pandemic, it was also working hard to ensure that those who were not paid, but have valid claims, would receive their disbursements.
“So far, the Department of Employment and Labour has paid out R31 billion in 6 900 391 payments. But as it tries to finalise payments that are still outstanding, it has become clear that certain elements tried to take advantage of the payments through fraudulent means.”
Buthelezi said that, for example, it had emerged that some companies had tried to claim on behalf of people who were deceased or even with fraudulent or non-existent identity document numbers.
UIF Commissioner, Teboho Maruping, added that the department had been assailed in certain quarters for not paying on time but he pointed out that it also had to ensure that the system was not taken advantage of.
“We understand the frustration that some people may have experienced but given all the permutations, it has been absolutely imperative that we ensure that we disburse the funds to deserving people,” Maruping stated.
“Through the vetting, we have been able to establish that there were at least over 4 000 claims (a total of 2 729 in April and 1 944 in May) that were lodged on behalf of deceased persons.” he added that the thorough vetting process had picked up these anomalies.
“As indicated by the Employment and Labour Minister, we are following every cent that we have paid out and will continue processing valid claims but some of these claims cannot be processed for obvious reasons,” Maruping added.
Besides claims lodged for the dead, some of the identity numbers used to apply for some of the workers do not exist. According to Maruping, there were close to 50 000 (48 189) invalid ID numbers used in April and this figure was slightly down to 43 176 in May.
“We developed this system in such a way that it would be able to talk to other public service institutions like Sars and the Department of Home Affairs. Currently the UIF use of reference and ID numbers to prevent duplicate payments serves as one of the major controls, as well as verification of banking details, password protection and checking claims against UIF and Sars databases.”
There were also ID numbers that could not be found on any system. “In April, there were 106 488 of these and in May, the number was down to 84 278. The system would have kicked these out immediately.”
“As we repurposed the fund to deliver to laid-off workers, we also needed to build in the necessary financial controls and ensure the liquidity and long-term sustainability of the fund itself. The Minister had directed that there would be no payments made by the UIF until the necessary controls were in place, as ultimately they would later be required to account to all government authorities and the Auditor-General on systems, processes and control of disbursing such huge amounts.”
He stated further that some of the reasons that led to delays included employees not being registered with the UIF and the fund had to verify their existence with Sars. “In April there were 218 548 such cases and 102 397 in May.”
“In these cases, and realising the noble cause for supporting workers, we gave employers the chance to declare these workers through u-filing after which we would be able to pay. As a result, a total of 171 393 for April and 113 856 for May has recently been declared by employers on u-filing and we have either paid them or are in the process of doing so,” said Maruping.
The Unemployment Insurance Act, makes it obligatory for a company to declare all its employees with the fund and to pay over UIF contributions to the fund and it has been in contact with these employers requiring them to confirm if indeed these are their employees including some form of proof – whether through their payroll or South African Revenue Service declaration.
In some cases, the fund has not received cooperation from these employers which, Maruping pointed out, begged the question if those workers were really employed at the companies concerned or if some of these companies in question were trying their luck to see if UIF would pay.
“We have bent over backwards by even advising these companies on how to declare their employees if indeed they work for them. Again on realising that the employees are not on the system, we have gone back to them to ask them to declare these workers and this is the outstanding information.
“Unfortunately, the regulations were clear right from the beginning that a company or entity had to have been registered for UIF before March 15 2020 but in April, 18 648 claims were lodged and 3 052 in May. These cannot be processed.”
One of the regulations was that those who already have active UIF cases, either receiving benefits for maternity or unemployment would not be eligible for Ters relief but the UIF still received 21 601 claims of these claims and 12 641 in May.
“We could not and still cannot pay in the cases of double dipping and we made this very clear at the beginning. The Covid-19 benefits necessitated not only new policies and directions, but also a major system change to cope with a ten-fold increase in benefit payments. Prior to the lockdown, the UIF paid benefits only to retrenched workers who had contributed to the fund. The process was typically initiated by individual walk-ins to Labour Centres. This all had to be changed.”
Maruping stated that the fund would continue to process those claims that are in the system. “The April and May applications are closed but the June applications are still active. The extra vetting means that instead of paying in 24 hours, the minimum time now is 48 hours.”