Calls for removal of municipal manager, CFO
IT IS ALL systems go ahead of Thursday’s city-wide community march calling for the removal of the Sol Plaatje municipal manager and the chief financial officer (CFO) as well as the termination of the contract with the public relations company that was hired to manage the ill-fated R260 electricity levy campaign.
The manager in the Office of the Mayor, George Mosimane, said that permission had been granted for the march to go ahead.
“We need to look beyond these issues, as these demands were listed in the previous memorandum. The march must be a smokescreen for something else,” Mosimane added.
The chairperson of Wanya Tsotsi, Pantsi Obusitse, said that all march routes had been planned to converge at Sol Plaatje Municipality, with communities set to start moving from their meeting places from 8am Thursday.
“We will be meeting to discuss an additional route down Long Street, as it is shorter for those who will be marching from Soul City and Club 2000,” said Obusitse.
He added that Wanya Tsotsi members would act as marshals, while they had also met with the police to make the necessary arrangements
Obusitse urged all shops and businesses to close for the day, to avoid the possibility of looting as there would be a “total shutdown of the city”.
The CEO of the Northern Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Nocci), Sharon Steyn, said that they had met with the Sol Plaatje CFO on June 14 regarding issues relating to the municipal budget.
“Executive members from Nocci have arranged another urgent meeting with the CFO,” Steyn added.
She advised businesses to make their own decisions regarding closing their doors tomorrow for the march.
The spokesperson for the ANC in the Frances Baard region, Tshepo Louw, pointed out that the march was approved by Sol Plaatje Municipality under the leadership of the executive mayor and regional chairperson, Mangaliso Matika.
“We also note the allegations made on social media regarding the regional chairperson being involved in the so-called malicious damage to a vehicle belonging to one of the organisers of the march. This matter is malicious and defamatory. Such allegations have the potential to tarnish the integrity of the ANC in the region as it seeks to mislead society and create the perception that the leadership of the ANC promotes anarchy. We therefore believe that these allegations should be reported to the law enforcement agencies for their investigation and not paraded on social media for popularity,” said Louw.
Meanwhile, the ANC branch secretary of ward 15, Thapelo Nkukane, has disowned Monwabisi Mabija, whose bakkie was torched outside his home in Vergenoeg on Monday morning.
Nkukane said that Mabija was not a member of the branch nor was he included on the database of the ANC.
“The incident regarding the burnt bakkie is rather unfortunate and undesirable to us. It is causing a lot of misdirected and dangerous speculation. It is a matter that has created a lot of confusion in our ward and should be best dealt with by the police,” said Nkuk0ane.
Mabija indicated that he was a card-carrying member of the ANC and served as the ANC Youth League Phomolong branch secretary.
“No suspects have been arrested yet in connection with the damage caused to my vehicle when it was set alight,” said Mabija.