According to the Northern Cape Department of Education, all pupils who applied on the online school admission system have been placed.
ALL PUPILS who applied on the online school admission system have been placed, according to the Northern Cape Department of Education.
Department spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe said on Monday that 9,421 Grade R, 3,925 Grade 1 and 11,203 Grade 8 pupils had been placed in schools.
He added that 971 pupils who had not applied for Grade 8 on the online admission system were placed manually by district offices to ensure that those registered on the system on the South African School Administration and Management System (SASAMS) database were placed.
“All the other pupils in the middle grades who had not managed to apply on the online admission system have been placed by the schools, after the progressions in December 2021. All pupils in the system, based on the 2021 SASAMS data, have therefore been placed.”
Van der Merwe said that in the Frances Baard District, “town schools” remained the biggest flashpoint, where some parents were not satisfied with the schools where their children had been placed.
“This is the case specifically in Kimberley, due to the high demand for former Model C schools and specifically English-medium schools. Despite all learners who applied being placed, some parents are still not satisfied with the schools their children were placed in. The result is that these parents are flocking to their schools of choice to plead for space.”
He indicated that the department had allowed schools to manage walk-in applications themselves in January to accommodate any pupil that had still not been registered.
“This is done based on the available capacities to prevent parents/groups going to the district or provincial offices. To date, 904 walk-in applications have been processed by schools.”