Home News 30 farms in NC targeted for expropriation

30 farms in NC targeted for expropriation

2758
SHARE

The ANC in the Northern Cape was in the process of doing an audit of all privately-owned as well as state-owned land.

File images

A TOTAL of 30 farms in the Northern Cape, including several large commercial farms, have been identified by the provincial ANC for possible expropriation without compensation once the parliamentary processes have been finalised.

Vineyards and mixed farming farms in the Keimoes, Kakamas and Kanoneiland area seem to be on the radar in the list published on social media earlier this week by ANC provincial secretary Deshi Ngxanga.

Ngxanga said yesterday that the ANC in the Northern Cape was in the process of doing an audit of all privately-owned as well as state-owned land.

“This is to ensure that once the process of amending Section 25 of the Constitution has been finalised, we are able to speedily ensure that the land is distributed to especially young people who are interested in working the land,” said Ngxanga.

“We will, as the ANC, be consulting with all our structures, including the alliance partners, and thereafter have engagements with various stakeholders to ensure that this process, as complex as it is, runs smoothly.”

Among the properties that the ANC has identified in the Province are listed on this page.

The reasons given in the document released include: long-term occupiers, no security of tenure, adverse living conditions, part of an equity scheme, loss of shares and suspected criminal offences such as fraud, theft, etc.

On Tuesday, Deputy President David Mabuza said an inter-ministerial committee on land reform is currently fast-tracking the delivery of claimed land parcels to their rightful beneficiaries.

According to SANews.gov.za, Mabuza said this when he responded to oral questions in the National Assembly on Tuesday.

He said the inter-ministerial committee, which was established by the president last year to address bottlenecks in the implementation of key measures to accelerate land reform, will do so within the confines of the law.

“As part of this, land claims that have been outstanding for a while are expedited and finally land parcels are being delivered to the rightful beneficiaries.

“In cases where financial settlement is an option, those are also settled accordingly,” he said.

Mabuza said that in the coming months, in a bid to expedite the resolution of land claims and land redistribution, the inter-ministerial committee would pay particular attention to strengthening the capacity of the Office of the Valuer-General to speed up the process of valuations.

“Alongside the handover of land parcels, the inter-ministerial committee has been focusing on the development and implementation of a package of post-settlement support measures to enhance productivity of restituted land as well as communal land.”

Mabuza said that over the last few months the committee had dealt with the audit of land owned by government.

“Land parcels under the owners of various departments, municipalities and state-owned entities have been identified. The process of physical verification of properties earmarked for redistribution is expected to be finalised soon.

“Some of this land lies on the margins of towns where the demand for land is highest. It is hoped that these land parcels will alleviate congestion and also facilitate the creation of integrated, sustainable human settlements.”

He said state agricultural land parcels would be redistributed to support broadened participation of new entrants into the agricultural sector and expand agri-based incubation programmes.

Meanwhile, last year AfriForum published a list of farms which had been identified for expropriation without compensation which caused a panic amongst farmers. The list included 18 farms in the Northern Cape.

“Please ascertain if your farm is on the list and, if so, kindly contact AfriForum so that we can prepare for a joint legal strategy,” the organisation urged at the time.

At the same time the ANC announced that the party had identified 139 farms to be expropriated without compensation. According to AfriForum the list of farms was kept confidential and neither the ANC nor government was willing to make the list public.

Ernst Roets, deputy CEO of AfriForum, said at the time that a preliminary investigation indicated that the list probably contained many farms that had no history of land claims and over which there currently existed no dispute between the owners and the state.

“We expect that many landowners will be shocked to learn that their property has been identified for this purpose. This is exactly why it is so important that the list be shared and for people to contact us.”

According to Roets, some of the farms on the list from last year are highly productive commercial farms. “We’re not just talking about empty land.”

AgriSA questioned the status and content of the leaked list of farms said to be earmarked for expropriation without compensation (EWC). The list was published on the weekend and led to panic amongst landowners. This follows on an initial scare tactic by the ANC to target 139 farms for EWC.

In a press statement then, AgriSA said it was in the process of establishing the legitimacy of the list of farms. AgriSA was contacted for comment yesterday but were unavailable.

MPs yesterday agreed that the Section 25 amendment won’t be passed before the elections.