Most of the applications are for Grade 8.
19 563 online admission applications has been captured by the Northern Cape Department of Education so far.
Spokesperson for the Department of Education, Geoffrey van der Merwe said the majority of the applications were for Grade-8 placement for 2022.
“The breakdown per Grade is: 9 498 applications for Grade-8, 6 977 applications for Grade-R and 3 088 applications for Grade-1. Parents are reminded that the admission application for middle grades should be made directly at the school of choice,” said Van der Merwe.
He said the department is however concerned about a large number of Grade-7 learners that have not yet registered for placement.
“The department has identified 150 walk-in centres across the Province to assist parents to capture their applications, however the usage of these centres are fairly low. We have requested the principals of all primary schools to ensure that all Grade-7 learners have registered.
“Our biggest concern at this stage is that more than 11 000 Grade-7 learners must still apply. Schools are requested to advocate the management dates, as well as assist these learners/parents to comply and register by June 30, 2021,” he said.
Van der Merwe urged parents who have not yet applied for the entry grades for their children, to do so speedily.
“The department will embark on heightened efforts to advocate in terms of the online admissions system, as parents and legal guardians only have 16 days left to apply online for the 2022 school academic year. We appeal to all parents and legal guardians to be responsible and apply in time to secure a space at a public ordinary school. School spaces are limited and late applicants might only be considered at a later stage.
“The department has put in place the necessary systems and measures to allow all school communities access to the system. We therefore urge all applicants to apply well in time before June 30, 2021,” he said.