Home News 16,000 Northern Cape matrics to sit for exams

16,000 Northern Cape matrics to sit for exams

367
The Northern Cape MEC for Education, Zolile Monakali, visited Boesmanland High School in Pofadder to wish Grade 12 pupils well in their National Senior Certificat examinations. Picture: Supplied

The Northern Cape Department of Education says it is ready for the matric exams, which will start on October 27, 2021.

THE NORTHERN Cape Department of Education said on Thursday that a total of 16,551 candidates, of which 13,056 are full-time candidates and 3,495 are part-time candidates, have registered for the 2021 National Senior Certificate (NSC) examinations.

The department said it is ready for the final exams, which will start on October 27, 2021 with the first paper, English, and conclude on December 6, 2021.

Department spokesperson Geoffrey van der Merwe said there are more than 140 examination centres in the Province and all measures are in place to ensure the safety of all staff and pupils during the exams.

“The Northern Cape has registered 149 NSC examination writing centres. The 2021 NSC registration has been completed. A thorough process was conducted to ensure that quality marking of answer scripts is in place. A total of 778 markers, 165 senior markers, 81 chief markers, 22 deputy markers, 81 internal moderators, four centre managers, eight deputy centre managers and 150 examination assistants have been appointed. We have identified four marking centres to make provision for 1,289 marking personnel and to comply with Covid-19 protocols,” said Van der Merwe.

“The marking centres will open on December 10, 2021 and answer scripts and question papers will be delivered to marking centres. The capturing of marks will take place up to December 22, 2021.”

Van der Merwe said the provincial result will be released in January next year.

“The Northern Cape will release our provincial results on January 21, 2022, which will be followed by the Matric Awards.”

He added that the department has also implemented measures to ensure that the examination code of conduct is adhered to by all pupils and staff.

“The Province leaves no stone unturned in ensuring that examination irregularities are prevented, especially acts of dishonesty and the possession of unauthorised electronic devices like cellphones. A total of 149 chief invigilators were appointed and trained to strengthen our efforts to eradicate examination irregularities for the 2021 NSC examinations.”

Van der Merwe explained that pupils who might fall ill during the exams will be able to finish writing their subjects during the 2022 mid-year examinations.

“If any candidate is unable to write all the subjects due to illness, a Covid-19 infection or any other reason, they will be able to rewrite affected subjects during the 2022 May/June mid-year examinations.

“This also means that their results will not form part of the final 2021 NSC examination results. The same applies to the results of part-time and Senior Certificate candidates, which will not form part of the overall NSC results of 2021.”

Van der Merwe urged all candidates to do their best during the exams.

He acknowledged that the academic year had been challenging and that the current pandemic forced the department to come up with innovative ways of teaching.

In addition to this, Van der Merwe said that regular visits were conducted to high schools by the MEC for Education, Zolile Monakali, and other senior officials from the department.

“During these visits, support programs were monitored and matric pupils were encouraged to do their very best.

“We ask our Class of 2021 to work very hard. We wish them strength and determination to succeed in climbing this last school mountain,” Van der Merwe concluded.

Previous articleRevenge: sweet and not fattening
Next articlePremier Zamani Saul launches service delivery programme in Platfontein