“The highest number of Covid-19 infections at schools was reported in the Pixley ka Seme District."
THIRTEEN pupils and 23 educators at various schools in the Northern Cape have tested positive for Covid-19.
This was announced during a virtual press conference by the Department of Education and Department of Health on Wednesday.
Thomas van Staden, from the Department of Education, said during the press conference that various staff members and pupils had been affected by Covid-19, resulting in the closure of several schools in the Province.
“The highest number of Covid-19 infections at schools was reported in the Pixley ka Seme District. There were reported positive cases of pupils, educators, support staff and screeners at various schools in the Province. The total number of schools affected by Covid-19 is 25.”
Van Staden added that the majority of schools had since been reopened but nine still remained closed.
“There were 23 educators who tested positive for Covid-19, 13 pupils who tested positive, and seven support staff, which includes cleaners and administration staff.”
Three screening staff and four food handlers had also tested positive.
Van Staden said that departmental offices were also affected and closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“The Namakwa and Fraces Baard district offices, as well as the provincial head office, are closed. Disinfection is under way at the offices,” he said.
Van Staden added that the department was working in conjunction with the Department of Health to fight the spread of infections.
“Suspected cases at schools are referred to local clinics for testing and screening. The clinic decides on whether further testing is needed. The close contacts are traced by health officials and people are advised to self-isolate.”