The arrest warrant seems to be in relation to her alleged assault on a model at a South African hotel in August last year.
CAPE TOWN, December 19 (ANA) – Civic organisation AfriForum on Wednesday said it had received confirmation from the South African Police Service that an arrest warrant had been issued for former Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe.
Mugabe allegedly assaulted model Gabriella Engels at a South African hotel in August last year, but has claimed that she acted in self-defence.
“There is indeed a warrant to arrest for Grace Mugabe relating to the assault matter of Gabriella Engels,” AfriForum prosecutor Gerrie Nel said on television news channel eNCA.
After the alleged attack, Engels posted pictures of a gash on her forehead on social media, which she said she sustained after Mugabe hit her with an electric extension cord.
Mugabe, accompanied by about 10 bodyguards and hotel security guards, was looking for her sons, Robert Jnr, 25, and Chatunga Bellarmine, 21 at The Capital 20 West hotel in Johannesburg’s wealthy Sandton district.
At the time, her husband Robert Mugabe was still president of Zimbabwe, and Grace was allowed to leave South Africa without being prosecuted.
In July, the high court in Johannesburg declared the South African government’s decision to grant Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity unconstitutional, and set it aside.
– African News Agency (ANA), Editing by Stella Mapenzauswa