Home International Elon Musk asks to delay start of Twitter court battle

Elon Musk asks to delay start of Twitter court battle

46

In a court document cited by US media, Musk’s lawyers accuse Twitter’s board of directors of wanting to expedite the case.

File picture: Nikolas Kokovlis/NurPhoto)

SAN FRANCISCO – Tesla chief Elon Musk asked a Delaware court on Friday to reject a bid by Twitter to put its $44 billion (about R750bn) merger lawsuit on trial in September, instead asking to push it back until next year.

In a court document cited by US media, Musk’s lawyers accuse Twitter’s board of directors of wanting to expedite the case.

Twitter on Tuesday sued Musk for breaching the contract he signed to buy the tech firm, calling his exit strategy “a model of hypocrisy.”

The suit, filed in the US state of Delaware, urges the court to order the billionaire to complete his deal to buy Twitter, arguing that no financial penalty could repair the damage he has caused.

The social media giant wants to hold the trial in September, in order not to prolong the period of uncertainty threatening the company.

But Musk asked that the trial not start before February 13, citing the complexities involved.

Musk’s lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The billionaire had agreed to buy Twitter at the end of April.

But last week, after weeks of threats, Musk tried to pull the plug on the deal, accusing Twitter of “misleading” statements about the number of fake accounts.

That set the stage for a potentially lengthy court battle with Twitter, which has defended its fake account oversight and vowed to force Musk to complete the deal, which contained a $1bn break-up fee.

The social network says the number of fake accounts is less than 5%, a figure challenged by Musk, who says he believes it is much higher.

His lawyers say proving that will require analysing mountains of data.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled in a business law court in Delaware on Tuesday.

AFP

Previous articleSasol says refineries will restart operating end of July, no fuel shortage expected
Next articleGhana confirms its first outbreak of highly infectious Marburg virus