Home International Egypt shuts down Red Sea beaches after woman killed in shark attack

Egypt shuts down Red Sea beaches after woman killed in shark attack

36

Egypt’s Red Sea Governorate issued an order to shut down several Red Sea beaches on Friday after a 68-year-old Austrian woman was killed in a shark attack earlier that day, off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh, according to two security sources.

Tourists snorkel near a beach at the Red Sea resort of Sahl Hasheesh, Hurghada, Egypt. File picture: Reuters/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

CAIRO – Egypt’s Red Sea Governorate issued an order to shut down several Red Sea beaches on Friday after a 68-year-old Austrian woman was killed in a shark attack earlier that day, off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh, according to two security sources.

The victim was transferred to a local private hospital right after the attack, a source at the Red Sea Health Affairs Directorate told Reuters. He added that there were attempts to resuscitate her, but she died due to circulatory failure, which is a sudden drop in blood pressure resulting from her injuries and blood loss.

A security source also added that the woman had been living in Egypt over the past five years with her Egyptian husband.

– REUTERS

Previous articleAt least 30 Nigerian soldiers killed in ambush after mine attack – sources
Next articleRussia says its forces now have full control of eastern Ukraine region